In a dramatic turn of events, sometimes when you hear the phrase “Speak now or forever hold your peace,” it’s followed by a notable entrance. Someone bursts through the doors just in time, yelling “Don’t marry him!” and the scene then more or less concludes with bouts of tears and the wedding being cancelled. The couple who was actually meant to be together, of course, end up declaring their unending love to one another and ride off into the sunset. Yes, I’m talking about every hopelessly romantic movie ever.
In real life, though, things don’t always end that dreamy. Objections do happen and in fact, sometimes it’s really, really awkward! Here are some of the worst (or best) stories of objections when people did not hold their peace.
– At a small and intimate wedding, a man claiming to be the bride’s lover jumped up during the ceremony and started yelling at the groom. He was screaming that he wasn’t going to let him steal his woman, pointing a gun and threatening to shoot him if he didn’t give her up. Reddit user jjett89 attended the wedding and rightly said it felt like an episode of the Jerry Springer show. The guests were screaming and running for cover as the looney lover stole the show.
– Setting: A vibey, hipster beach wedding in a small town in Canada. The groom waws from Trinidad and Tobago, so all his relatives travelled far and are dressed wildly different from the Canadians. Everyone was loving it. As the ceremony progresses, everyone was getting teary from the vows. Then the line comes. “Any reason why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now.” The father of the groom gets up, stumbling and making a scene. A collective gasp followed by silence overtakes the scenic venue. Everyone is holding their breath. But he’s just standing there with glassy eyes. Turns out he was high on marijuana. The 70 year old man in a suit, sunglasses and dreadlocks laughs and says “No, I kid, I kid!” and the audience cracks up laughing as he sits back down. What a jokester.
– During a very prim and proper wedding, a man and says, “Yeah, I object. That’s my wife.” As everyone sits in shock, he claims that they got married at 18, she abandoned him and they never divorced. He had been trying to get a hold of her, and he actually told her that if she didn’t at least get a legal divorce, he would show up at her wedding. She had just ignored him, never answering his calls after leaving him at age 19. Complete disaster. The wedding was cancelled. The groom married the bride a year later after the divorce went through, in a small private ceremony. And here’s the kicker: two years later she just walked out on him.
– Here’s one you don’t hear everyday. When the pastor got to the part “or forever hold your peace,” the bride said, “Yes, I’d like to say something.” Then she turned around to her guests and said, “I’d like to thank my maid of honour for sleeping with my fiancé last night.” With that, she threw her bouquet and stormed off. The story apparently even made it on the radio at the time.
– This one does not have much theatrics to it, but the sheer mess of it will leave you stunned. The bride and groom were siblings, and their estranged father hadn’t told them until he objected at the wedding. They already had a child together, says didyouknowfacts.com. Twisted.