The Department of Home Affairs has officially resumed a wider variety of services, now that the country is back at Level 1 lockdown.
On Thursday, March 4 the Department began allowing South Africans to apply for and collect their passports, as well as register their marriages among other services. This comes after marriage services were temporarily suspended on January 12.
The following services will be resumed during Alert Level 1 lockdown:
• Re-issues of Smart ID Cards and identity documents
• Registration and solemnisation of marriages
• Amendments and rectifications
• Late registration of birth for all categories
• Applications and collections of passports for all categories
The citizenship service remains temporarily unavailable. Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi urges citizens to remain cautious and follow COVID-19 health and safety protocols when visiting a Home Affairs office.
“We do not want our offices to be super spreader sites. We urge everyone who visits our offices to observe social distancing, sanitise their hands regularly and to wear their masks properly, covering their noses and mouths,” he said.