It’s always great receiving an invitation to a wedding. It’s a joyous occasion that you are honoured to be part of. As excited as you may be, your wallet might not be as thrilled. All the costs are easy to forget, so be prepared for these expenses if you’re a wedding guest.
The engagement party
Couples usually have an engagement party to celebrate the good news and the marriage to come. It’s not always a big thing, but there is a chance that you may encounter a few expenses.
– You may need to purchase a gift. It’s not a requirement, but if you feel the need to get the couple a gift, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy or over the top and you shouldn’t feel pressured into getting something expensive.
– Not all engagement parties are super formal, but if the one you’re going to happens to be, and you don’t own anything up to par, then you may need to go on a little shopping trip.
– Hopefully, there are drinks available but if the soiree doesn’t feature an open bar, you’ll have to fork out some cash for your liquor.
– Pitching up with a gift is now expected unless stated otherwise, so that’s definitely a deduction.
The bachelor/bachelorette party
– A gift may not be necessary but depending on how close you are to the bride, you may be required to contribute to various things surrounding the party itself.
– If you’re going out, you may have to pay your own way for things like dinner and drinks.
– Travel costs. Now, this isn’t always the case, but you may be required to travel to a destination for the party. Whether it’s an hour or plane away, that’s still a cost.
– Travel comes up again, as the ceremony and reception may be held at a special place that’s of course at a distance. You’ll have to make your own way there unless stated otherwise.
– This is the main event and a special gift is now mandatory. Most couples opt for a wedding registry that consists of a variety of gifts with different price tags, big and small.
– Since it is the big day, you have to look your best. Depending on what the dress code is and what’s available in your closet, you may need to stop window shopping.
– If it is a destination wedding, chances are, you may need to sort out your own accommodation. Some couples may book a few rooms at a hotel but you’ll have to pay your own way.
It’s important to remember that even if you get an invitation to all the wedding festivities, you don’t have to attend them all, especially since they can become quite costly.
As expensive as all these things may seem, before you decline the invitation, keep in mind that all the things listed may not be applicable to all events.
Image: Visual Poetry Photography