You’re looking for the perfect spot to pop the question (or you keep imagining the magical place that will serve as your proposal setting, soon to be hinted at when you spontaneously take your partner there).
However, with so many options in places like Cape Town, picking one place can be overwhelming for the best of us.
Before we drop the deets on 6 special spots to ‘pop the question’ in Cape Town, it’s worth noting a few disclaimers.
1. No matter where you choose, even if it’s the comfort of your own garden, it will still be a special moment. The place doesn’t define the importance of asking someone to spend their life with you, the person does!
2. Too much pressure on getting everything perfect can take away from your own enjoyment of the moment, or your partners.
3. Some of the most magical and tear-jerking proposals have happened in the most obscure places, or the ones that are personal to your relationship. If your partner is sentimental, then proposing at their favourite sunset spot, the place you went on your first date, or somewhere where you both remember laughing for hours can mean far more than a place boasting grandeur or tantalising views.
Now, for those who are all about scenery, and places that are known for their romantic spins, here are some top picks in the Mother City:
1.The Rock sunset spot
Known for its incredible views, The Rock sunset spot marries intimacy and Cape sunsets are their finest, an incredible spot to share with the person to whom you’d give the whole sunset eternally if you could. The Rock is a perfect ‘pop the question spot’ that applies to any kind of lover, but fits best for the one who always ensures that watching the sunset together is on the cards.
- Where:405 Ocean View Drive, Bantry Bay
2. Kirstenbosch National
Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens homes everything a nature lover could hope to experience in one epic garden. Not many people can say they made the special decision to be together forever and always at a new 7th Wonder of The World, but you can. The Boomslang Walkway is one of the most sought after spots in the Gardens, hosting breathtaking views and an explorer’s thrill. To add an even more romantic spin, have a picnic with Fynkos and enjoy nature’s bounty as rolling lawns and flowers surround you. For someone who loves mother Earth almost as much as they love you, Kirstenbosch will certainly serve as that fairytale backdrop.
- Where:Rhodes drive, Newlands
3. The Paris of Cape Town – Franschoek
Franschhoek is renowned for its romantic energy, challenging the Parisians on their notions of love being in the air. A trip to Franschoek means divine food, lots of wine and even perfume-making – all leading up to the big ask. For a classic proposal, try Le Petite La Colombe, which is not only one of the top restaurants in the world but a Wineland’s favourite for proposals. If your partner is all about grandeur and would sell a kidney to live in France, then this spot fits the bill. If you’re looking for something a little different, Babylonstoren boasts spoils of romantic magic, from the greenhouse to a gorgeous canoe trip – arguably one of the most romantic spots.
- Where: Le Petit Colombe | Leeu Estates, Dassenberg Rd, Franschhoek
- Babylonstoren | Klapmuts – Simondium Rd, Simondium
4.At the top of the Cape Wheel
They make you feel like you’re on top of the world, so why not capitalise on it romantically? The Waterfront’s famous Cape Wheel offers picnic options where you can add some champagne and truly cheers to a beautiful future amongst the stars. If your relationship has always felt like a film plot, then entering the next chapter this way will certainly be Nicholas Sparks approved.
- Where: Dock Rd, V&A Waterfront
5.Norval Art Foundation
Art is tangible and visible emotion. Norval Art Foundation is easily one of the most aesthetic places to propose, and for the art lover in your relationship, it’s a perfect painting. Who wouldn’t want to make such a special decision surrounded by art as your audience? Norval Art Foundation hosts so many curious spots to share the most romantic moments of your life, with new exhibitions constantly in the works, ready to build your audience.
- Where:4 Steenberg Rd, Tokai
6. Table Mountain, of course
This list wouldn’t be complete without vouching for a seat at the finest table in Cape Town. Whether you decide to take a hike along Table Mountain National Park’s trails, ride the cableway all the way to the top or go to the new TAP bar (an addition part of the Aerial Cable Way’s delicious ‘above the world’s experiences) you simply can’t go wrong with the gem of our city.
- Where: Table Mountain National Park